|Sheering - a very lucky escape|
However he is a very, very lucky hedgehog. If this careless gardener had decided to cut what ever they'd been cutting just 2mm (1/8") shorter then Sheering would have suffered what could have been a fatal wound. This type of wound:
- Can easily become infected without treatment
- Leaves a hedgehog open to predators as they are unable to curl up
- May leave a hedgehog disabled
As I've said thankfully Sheering was very lucky and should make a full recovery, we just have to wait for his spines for grow back. However this could have been avoided if said gardener had simply taken a few moments to check before cutting.
So here is our call to action - help us save lives.
A call to action:
Please, please spread the message that before you cut or trim check for wildlife. Simply:
- Repost this far and wide
- Talk to family and friends
- Have a chat with the council workers who are cutting grass
Together we can reduce the number of strimmer victims, all it takes is a few minutes.