Wednesday 18 January 2012

Funding Matters

When someone drops a hedgehog off to us I often get asked how much the RPSCA pay us. It's amusing to watch their jaws drop when I tell them we're totally non-funded and when the hedgehog bank account (yes they have their own account) is empty then myself and our volunteers (we now have 15 carers and 2 long term fosterers) fund the work. I'm then asked how do we fund our work. Well...

We attend open days at local vets and have a stall of local fetes where we sell items donated by supporters.



I do presentations for local schools, WI groups and after school clubs such as Brownies and Cubs. We ask for a minimum donation and if I have a hoglet well enough to take with me I do. If you'd like to book a visit then visit our website for info on how to contact me (remember we only cover an area within half an hours drive of Stansted Airport).


We have collection pots in local vets selling key rings  (£1.50 each) that are kindly made and donated by a local crafts person (who happens to be a close friend). If you'd like to see some more of her lovely work then click on this link and look for the name Pippa King.



We collect used printer cartridges and postage stamps, which make us a small income. Well not that small as the printer cartridges over the last ten years has covered the cost of caring for 40 hogs. Not quite the number we average per year (around 60ish) but still not bad from 'rubbish.'


We also have:
  • A volunteer who every so often cooks a meal for family/friends and asks them to give a small donation. He has a wonderful night entertaining and raises funds for us.
  • A supporter who sells our set of exclusive cards - £1.00 for the set of three.

  • Other supporters who pop a can or two of cat/dog food into their shopping basket. Once they have a few tins I either get a call and collect or come home to find a small pile of tins sitting on the doorstep.
  • And our longest serving volunteer organises a craft and art fair once a year and in 2011 she donated a third of the proceeds to us, raising a fantastic £300.



Recently we signed up as an affiliate seller for The Toner Warehouse.


Basically if anyone follows this link then:
  • Clicks on the 'join now' button
  • Becomes a member
  • Ensure the number 111107 is in the last box - 'reference'
Each time they make a purchase we earn commission. I must admit I was dubious, believing the items would be far more expensive than my usual supplier. However I placed an order for a set of printer cartridges and they were £7.50 cheaper. So I not only saved myself money but also earned commission for the hogs. Also the great thing is they cover most of the country, so even if someone live hundreds of mile away from us they can still support our work.
And in between all that fund raising we look after hedgehogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment